[mythtv-users] TAO Linux?

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Thu Dec 30 22:25:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, myth at umich2.com wrote:

> Michael Starks wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 16:16 +0100, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> >>
> >>How much of the packages are ready to go for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0?
> >>
> >>I started of with FC3 only because Jarod's guide made it look like a
> >>jiffy.
> >>
> >>However I am not that big a fan of the short lifespan of Fedora Core sets.
> >>So I have used TAO linux for a number of installations. This is in effect
> >>a RHEL 3.0 clone with the advantage of having the long lifespan.
> >
> >I know what you mean about Fedora.  I have been thinking of switching to
> >a different distro because of that.
> >
> >I haven't tried Myth on an Enterprise III system, but I can tell you
> >that I help to administer some EIII servers, and that they don't seem
> >much different than RH9.0 and Fedora Core II.  I bet it would work fine.
> >
> afiak rhel is still on the 2.4 kernel which I think makes you jump
> through a few more hoops to get a working system.

In effect it means I have to get a load of packages and recompile all of
them. The FC1 packages would be the best source as RHEL 3.0 was modeled
after FC1.

But at present this is more then I would bargain for on the other hand if
no one is able to discover a way to get TVout working on the PVR-350 it
may be the best way to get a steady installation but it would result in a
new repository as almost no one has one for RHEL 3.0

Hugo.