[mythtv-users] Poll: apt-get FC3 install

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Thu Dec 30 15:41:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 15:56 +0100, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> Great. You screw up your package management system and then complain it
> can not keep up with your fooling around.
>
> Either use package management properly or go for sources all the way and
> work out the details yourself. But NEVER break dependencies deliberatly
> and complain about poor package management by the software.
>
> The error in this case is clearly between the keyboad and the chair.

Actually the apt-get problems occurred before I added tarballs, so my
guess is that the RPMs at atrpms failed me. Some packages
required /usr/lib/python4 as a directory. This must not have been
considered a "Provides" for the python4 rpm so apt-get would not include
it. Also it indicated a conflict between /etc/yum.conf and an atrpms
config package that apt-get saw fit to include.

That is a problem between keyboard and chair but not at my desk. It's
the package maintainer. And before I ignite anything here, Axel has done
a great job and few glitches here or there should in no way diminish the
enormous amount of benefits his efforts give the rest of us.

And yes, my main complaint about apt-get is that it can not keep up with
oddities. I could not find an option to override certain checks, or to
allow for event the smallest inconsistency. Rpm has it (--nodeps, --
force, etc) then shouldn't the tool that sits above rpm support
something similar?

--
John Van Ostrand <john at netdirect.ca>
Net Direct Inc.