[mythtv-users] Poll: apt-get FC3 install

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Thu Dec 30 14:56:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, John Van Ostrand wrote:

> I used the apt-get and had problems with package dependencies. At one
> point I had to remove yum. I also had to manually specify python4
> installation (got it from atrpms). I went for the new versions of ivtv-
> fw-*.bin instead of the all-in-one package and that also caused some
> dependency problems, so I had to switch back.
>
> All the while I was thinking that apt-get was supposed to help in
> dependencies. I tend to bend the rules from time-to-time, installing
> something from a tarball instead of an RPM so I use rpm's --nodep after
> which apt-get seems to refuse to work.

Great. You screw up your package management system and then complain it
can not keep up with your fooling around.

Either use package management properly or go for sources all the way and
work out the details yourself. But NEVER break dependencies deliberatly
and complain about poor package management by the software.

The error in this case is clearly between the keyboad and the chair.

Hugo.