[mythtv-users] New Australian XMLTV grabber

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 00:41:01 UTC 2004

> > On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 05:02:07PM +1000, Paul Andreassen wrote:
> >> This version is FIVE TIMES FASTER.  I was having trouble with my
> >> router
> >> overflowing its NAT because the old version was leaving the ip
> >> connections open.  Its was probably also doing a DOS on the web site,
> >> although only in a small way.  It now takes 7:46 minutes instead of
> >> 36:33 minutes.
> >
> > With 5 threads, isn't it DOSing their web site every time?
>

> Its only DOSing at 3am every morning when 100 people run filldatabase,
> a time when no one really cares if it takes 36 mins. Not only is it
> rude, but things like this is what makes yahoo/ninemsn change there
> guide so we cant get information from it any more.
>
> Some thing good I notices today is a xml feed from abc of the guide
> today.
> http://www.abc.net.au/syndication/tv_epg.xml
>
> We should be using this instead of nine for abc at least.

I agree that as a community we should be doing whatever we can to
avoid disrupting Nine/Yahoo/etc's service. Hard to police that,
though. The only way I can see of doing that is to scrape once and
store it somewhere else for Aussie mythtv users to access. That would
need someone to volunteer some web space and bandwidth.

Thte ABC xml looks like it's only 1 day which isn't really enough -
you need to be able to see the schedule more than 1 day in advance.

The best solution in the long term is the OzTivo collaboration which
people are already working on, I believe.