[mythtv-users] Re: Jarod's HOWTO for FC3/PVR-350/X - Please Keep Online

Matt D. Robinson matt at aparity.com
Wed Dec 29 16:50:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Axel Thimm wrote:
|>On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 05:06:17PM -0800, Matt D. Robinson wrote:
|>> I've reviewed Jarod's MythTV FC3 HOWTO, using a single PVR-350 in my
|>> TV box (and I had a working base FC2 configuration), and I'm at a
|>> point now where I believe I can say that it just doesn't work yet.
|>> Jarod should take his HOWTO off-line
|>
|>If the HOWTO were offline, how would you have reviewed it?

Move it or preface it with something that says either this HOWTO is not
working yet.  Off-line is another option, certainly more draconian, but
at least then the impression isn't given that it works.

|>> - The ivtv-fb driver isn't up to rc3b yet to fix the problems with
|>>   the module crashes (and even then doesn't work fully);
|>
|>In your reasoning above we should also take rpms and tarballs offline?

No.  The HOWTO references the RPMs but are not tied together except by the
HOWTO referencing them.

|>> - The new 2.6.9 kernels are breaking in conjunction with ivtv, and
|>>   the ck100zz drivers aren't useful anymore.
|>
|>Perhaps we should remove the kernel as well?

See my previous comment.  I'm rebuilding older kernel .src.rpms now to
try and figure out what's broken (along with alsa/video4linux/ivtv).

The point here is that the HOWTO isn't working, not the RPMs.  And again
(third time now), all of your and Jarod's work is very much appreciated.
I'm just hoping that the problems can be fixed, that's all, and I'm
willing to help debug where possible.  But showing people how to build a
system for PVR-350 configurations (using TV-Out, and X) that's broken and
doesn't work just creates more work for everyone (unintentionally, of
course).

Thanks,

--Matt