[mythtv-users] Repeat problems with ati_remote in 2.6 kernel

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Dec 29 03:33:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Dave Steinberg wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Yesterday, I upgraded my myth box to a 2.6.10 kernel, from 2.4.26.  Almost
> eeverything has gone very smoothly, with just one outstanding problem.
>
> I had been happily using the 2.1.1 ati_remote driver from the GATOS
> project, without lirc.  I'm now using the follow-on that's included in the
> 2.6 kernel.
>
> I noticed that many of the keycodes have changed, but that was no problem:
> I just used xev to get them all, and updated my .xmodmaprc.  One odd thing
> is that I'm no longer getting a keypress from the channel + and - buttons.

   [...]

> Has anyone had any luck using the ati_remote driver in 2.6?  Anyone seen
> these kinds of problems, or better yet, solved them?

At least for the chan+/- problem I've also noticed it in 2.6.9.  The
ati_remote driver that is part of that kernel source is in fact generating
/dev/input events for everything but they aren't all getting translated
into X events.  You can prove this by running evtest against
/dev/input/eventX ("X"=device allocated for your ATI remote) and hitting
some buttons.  (In Debian, evtest is packaged with dvb-utils.)  You'll see
every button generates events.  But then try xev and chan+ and chan- won't
trigger anything there.

That's as far as I've gotten.  Unfortunately I can suggest nothing yet as
a solution.  I've been too distracted by other issues to continue pursuing
this one.

  -Mike