[mythtv-users] Problems building my box - PVR 350.

Derek Jennings derek at disposable.dnsalias.org
Tue Dec 28 12:56:54 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 12:19, Amorya North wrote:
> I have built a computer and installed Mandrake on it. Problem is, I
> can't start X - which I think is because the graphics card is about ten
> years old.
>
> I have a PVR 350, though, and will be using the TV output from that. So
> if I'm not mistaken, I only need the extra graphics card to set up the
> box for the first time - am I right?
>
> So, should I spend time trying to get X started on this card? Should I
> get hold of another graphics card to do the setup, which runs X?
>
> Or can I set everything up from the command line, and then get Myth
> working on the PVR without ever having run X on the normal graphics
> card? This is what I think is possible, but I'm somewhat of a Linux
> newbie so I'm after confirmation :)
>

> Amorya

What is the graphics card? It must be very old indeed if it will not run X.

Have you tried logging in at the text console and running
XFdrake to set up the graphics card again.? If the driver is not autoselected
try selecting vesa or vga. Select a very conservative resolution.

What version of Mandrake is this?

Did you look at the log to see why X will not start.
In Mdk 10.1 the log is /var/log/Xorg.0.log

You will find it easier to read log files if you install Midnight Commander
with 'urpmi mc'  and then run 'mc' to get a text based file manager.

HTH
derek