[mythtv-users] Re: MythTV and streaming MPEG2 over UDP

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Sat Dec 25 03:19:57 UTC 2004

Quoting myth joe <mythjoe at gmail.com>:

> Could one create a gasket server that talks to Myth on one side and
> provides standard media interfaces on the other?
Sure.

Someone did just this to provide a pseudo-frontend for Myth under Windows before
there was an actual Win32 port of mythfrontend.

The basic idea in that case was:
Mount the myth store via SMB
Connect to the MySQL server hosting the mythconverg DB
Figure out the episode info using the filename and the DB data.  (Same way
mythbackend does it.)

I believe the pseudo-frontend used for the Hauppauge MediaMVP operates in a
similar manner.  I don't remember the link offhand, it's in the archives
somewhere (within the past 2-3 weeks.)

In fact there is no need to even connect to the backend server in either of
these cases.  If you simply want to play/view the content, all you need is
access to the MPEG files (assuming they were recorded as MPEG2, if they were
software encoded using NuppelVideo it becomes a bit harder.) and the MySQL DB.

You don't even need MySQL DB access, but the filenames are quite cryptic in that
case.  (Source ID, channel, start time, end time, no show name or anything like
that.)