[mythtv-users] Re: Help with choices for new HDTV card (US) - OT

jgvp jgvp at cogeco.ca
Fri Dec 24 20:30:43 UTC 2004

This is only a personal viewpoint, but I can't help thinking
(admittedly more like hoping ) that when OTA HDTV becomes fully
established encompassing all the networks and local channels that the
need for cable and satellite service will eventually diminish. Their
"dog in the manger" attitude towards the viewing public, which has been
revealed with the advent of HDTV, will bring about an anti-Hollywood
and anti-cable/satellite festering reaction. Let's face it, most if not
all of the additional 200 odd channels that we have become accustomed
to with cable/satellite, ( you still can only watch one channel at a
time,) have really only surfaced because they are vehicles for
commercial advertising, and I could conceivably forego them if I was
able to view OTA HDTV to my heart's content, as I do now but via
satellite. Think of the money I would save as a bonus. They just don't
seem to realise, while the revenues continue to roll in, that they are
actually killing that which laid the golden egg.