[mythtv-users] Re: Connection problem

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Fri Dec 24 16:53:12 UTC 2004

I just took a quick look to see what that error was about.  Here's what
I found:

- The connection may be working fine.
- It's doing a check on protocol compatibility before proceeding (a good
thing to do).
- This check throws an error if it doesn't understand the response from
the backend, which is what I would expect if the protocol doesn't match.

It seems that the backend is a different version than what mythweb is
expecting.  And probably different enough that it doesn't even
understand the answer.

Here's the function that's returning the error:

        Check that we are speaking a version of the protocol that is
    function check_proto_version($fp) {
        global $MYTH_PROTO_VERSION;
        $our_version = $MYTH_PROTO_VERSION;
        $cmd = "MYTH_PROTO_VERSION " . $our_version;
        $response = explode(backend_sep, backend_command2($cmd, $fp));
        if ($response[0] == "ACCEPT")
        if ($response[0] == "REJECT")
            trigger_error("Incompatible protocol version (mythweb=" .
        trigger_error("Unexpected response to MYTH_PROTO_VERSION '" .
$cmd . "'

Mythweb is expecting the backend protocol version to be 13.

>From line 15 of mythbackend.php:

// MYTH_PROTO_VERSION is defined in libmyth in
// and should be the current MythTV protocol version.

So, looking for mythcontext:
#locate mythcontext

, mine is located on:

, and here's the line from mythcontext.h that defines the version (line

So, go look at your mythcontext.h to see what version it is.  Don't know
if this helps, but it might be a good start.  Good luck,