[mythtv-users] Re: Frontend crash when recording starts?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Dec 24 12:22:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 01:59:25PM -0600, David Smith wrote:
> At 12:57 PM 12/23/2004, you wrote:
> >I've got my Myth box running fairly smoothly now but have a question that
> >I can't seem to find an answer for.  When watching live TV, if a scheduled
> >recording comes on, the frontend will lockup.  I have no idea why - I've
> >looked in the log for the frontend and there doesn't appear to be anything
> >out of the ordinary showing up, but perhaps I'm not running at a verbose
> >enough logging level (if the frontend supports various logging levels that
> >is, I'm not sure)?
> >
> >Does anyone else experience this?  I'm running .16 on FC3 and it's quite
> >aggravating - the problem doesn't occur if you're not watching TV at the
> >time.

> This is a known issue with the 16.  It's fixed in CVS.  Though, if your
> like me you'd perfer to stay with packaged install for now.  Maybe if get
> to the point I have two systems to play with I'll mess with compiliing from
> CVS.  I believe I read somewhere, though I can't find it now, that it has
> to do with the journaling filesystem the buffer lives on (xfs in the case
> of /video if you followed Jarod's guide).  You can search around in the
> archives others have discussed it but I believe most are compiling from CVS
> to fix it.
>
> You can SSH to the box and kill the mythfrontend and restart it to see that
> it is still recording.  Still looking for a workaround.
>
> If I get a chance this afternoon, I think I'm going to try to fdisk my
> /video to ext2 and see if that fixes it.  At least until an updated Axel
> RPMS comes out.

rpms for myth-cvs exist, but there won't be any backports to the
stable 0.16 rpms. If you are feeling lucky try the
0.16.0.cvs20041220 packages from the bleeding repo. Back up you
database before doing so, as downgrading to 0.16 will not restore
that.

Have fun and merry Xmas!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net