[mythtv-users] disabling OSD / Hardware reqs

Brian Bartlow mythtv at roostervision.com
Thu Dec 23 17:33:58 UTC 2004

Brian Bartlow wrote:

> Just wondering if there is an easy way to disable OSD.

I'm not sure if it was the right thing to do, but I just created a blank
OSD theme with only a mostly blank osd.conf file.  Now I can watch HDTV
with no stutters or sound problems.  Processer usage drops from 95-100%
down to below 50% on average.  I'm amazed that XvMC would drop the usage
by so much.  It makes me wonder if I could get away with using my Athlon
1400+ for a HDTV frontend instead.

One other question I have, could an AMD K6-2 550MHz run a HD myth
backend?  I already have this system always up running a Samba/ftp
server and would rather not have to leave my HTPC on full time to record
shows.

Brian