[mythtv-users] OT: Best modchip for xbox to be used for mythtv?

Tom E. Craddock, Jr. sigtom at sigtom.com
Thu Dec 23 01:44:47 UTC 2004

William wrote:

>>>Not necessary.
>>>
>>>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/95695#95695
>>>
>>>--David

>>Yup, he's right.  I have a 1.6 XBox and used a method similar
>>to the posting above.  The newer hacks are really slick - you
>>get a nice menu when you boot up. After the initial hack, I
>>just followed the instructions at:
>>http://bit.blkbk.com/bittorrent/ to get a Myth > frontend
>>running - works great!
>>
>>Dave
>>

>Mine is less than 30 days old by the date on the label. Version 1.6 for
>sure, probably 1.6b which is very new. I had seen that site before but
>elsewhere read that it would only work on ver 1.0-1.5 bios. Can you point me
>to a url for your install method? I dont want to screw this up :)
>
>Bill

Im not up on the software hacks like I use to be, but if you do end up
getting a chip, Id recommend the SmartXX version 2, or the new SmartXX
LT OPX, which both include a USB adapter, which you just plug into one
of the controller ports and then hook your USB device to it.  The
differences between the vs 2 and LT OPX chip is the LT OPX is smaller,
instead of a 4mb memory chip like on the vs 2 chip the LT OPX has only
1mb, the OS on the LT OPX doesnt have as many options, and the LT OPX
costs about half what the vs 2 (~$60USD for vs2, ~$30USD for the LT
OPX).  One major difference is, if your XBox is a 1.6b (meaning it has
Hynix memory chips in it instead of samsung chips which XBox vs 1.0-1.5
have) you will have to rebuild the LPC port on the XBox to allow it to
use a modchip; most of the time you would use a "LPC Rebuild board",
then install the pin headers and the mod chip would go onto the pin
headers.  The LT OPX doesnt need a rebuild board as its intergrated INTO
the chip, the modchip and LPC Rebuild board are all one piece, and you
install it to the bottom of the XBox 1.6b motheboard, not needing to
isntall pin headers on top.  You can get info on the the chip at
www.smartxx.com. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.  If
your in the USA, www.bmmods.com is the official reseller first getting
the LT OPX chip, and they are in my opinion the best reseller in the USA.

Tom E. Craddock, Jr.
sigtom at sigtom.com