[mythtv-users] commercial PVRs for myth?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Wed Dec 22 18:18:28 UTC 2004

> That sounds to me like the description of a PVR and it appears I can buy
> a commercial one much more cheaply than trying to assemble one from
> parts.

mythtv *is* PVR software (programmable video recorder), it is also DVR
software (digital video recorder).

And yes, you can buy commercial ones for less.  But you also generally
have to pay monthly fees to the provider for your listings, and rarely
get the ability to export your recordings, etc.

Mythtv isn't really about being cheaper (it really only is if you
already own the hardware), it's about having control over what you do
with your recordings.

-Chris