[mythtv-users] Adding a second IR controlled Dish Receiver

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Wed Dec 22 03:39:40 UTC 2004

Joel Anderson wrote:

>There is a big howto for setting up another instance as you mention,
>sorry I don't have the link handy but it has been posted many times if
>you check the archives.
>
>IIRC, you can change the remote codes for the dish receivers, so you
>can use one blaster to control more than one.  The basics seemed to be
>programming the second remote and receiver for the alternate codes,
>learning them for your lirc config, mod or add a new channel change
>script that uses the new remote.
>
>I haven't tried it myself, but I will help my friend with a simliar
>setup in the new year that will include 2-3 StarChoice receivers which
>apparently can be done similarly.
>
>Sorry I don't know where I read all this, it was a while ago.  Someone
>please correct me if my memory is mistaken.  :)

I'm the one who wrote the second howto on the losdos site about using a
single lirc instance for two boxes in the same room.  It's working
pretty reliably since I added support for a lock file.  I've got a
couple nuisance issues with simultaneous changes, but I think it's a
proximity problem with the leds.  The second box very occasionally fails
to change channels.  Not very often, but enough to be annoying.  I'd be
working on it, but I've got bigger fish to fry right now.

Good luck.

Mark