[mythtv-users] MythTV and streaming MPEG2 over UDP

Steve Malenfant smalenfant at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 20:15:46 UTC 2004

I think MythTV needs to change.  I think that the MythFrontend should
go away.  Before everybody says I'm crazy, read why I'm saying this.

1 - MythBackend works fine.
2 - MythFrontend is the problem for most folks, HDTV not working,
display issues, etc...
3 - The Web Interface needs to be adapted to be used by external client.

Videolan (VLC) uses MPEG-2 over IP.  It can use a SAP server to
receive programming (I'm not sure to which extent).

Amino (www.aminocom.com) have a device that can play MPEG-2 SD stream
up to 9 mbits called the AmiNET100.  They now have one that can play
HD streams and ouput component out at 720p and 1080i (must be capable
of at least 15mbits)
http://www.aminocom.com/products/aminet120.html
I have an AmiNET100 where I work and all this device need is a web
page with link to rtsp content.  These type of device will be used for
Video over DSL.

These products are small, less expensive than a high end PC.  The
backend to record and stream HDTV don't need to be that fast.

If I could use my Windows machine with VLC to play out my HDTV content
from MythTV, it would be much less complicated.

I think that all the proprietary feature of MythTV will make the
project sink.  It needs to add support for industry standard like
Transport Stream over ethernet, etc...  MythTV could be a great
backend for that.

Here's what happened with my MythTV experience :
- PVR250, that worked great... Imagine quality on my DLP 50" with that
is not great, I don't even want to see it anymore.
- HD3000... Can record no problem... I just can't get video out of the
frontend.  Works OK in mplayer, doesn't in xine.  Too slow with XV,
works half the time with XVMC.  Blue screen with the nvidia driver.
(giving up here)
- Bought the DVD Nvidia Codec for Windows XP, 15 mbits MPEG-2 HDTV
uses 30% of CPU on my P4 2.4 Ghz with ATI Radeon 9700 Pro.  That's the
best 20$ I ever invested in my computer.  Now I can watch recorded HD
shows on my DLP with awesome results.  Only 1 problem, is that I can't
rewind/fast forward.

I appreciate all the work that being done.  I'm not smart enough to do
my part in the development, but at least I can give ideas.