[mythtv-users] AMD Athlon 64 CPUs and MythTV Compiling

Giles Jones doveleys at nildram.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 23:13:23 UTC 2004

On Monday 20 Dec 2004 22:31, Greg wrote:
> Plus theres the cool 'n' quiet feature on the A64.

Plus it's AMD, Intel have realised they screwed up with the long pipeline on
the P4, not to mention they've "borrowed" AMD's 64-bit instruction set.

AMD64 Gentoo is great if you want a free 64-bit Linux, it's more mature than
AMD64 Debian. I've been running it for a good 5 or 6 months on my main
computer.

My own MythTV box is a slower AMD chip, basically because I wanted it to be
silent. It's as close to silent as I can get it. Fanless PSU, fanless chipset
cooler. Zalman HD cooler/vibration damper, Kamikaze cooler (16dB noise),
soundproofed case. A bit OTT perhaps :)

--
G. O. Jones