[mythtv-users] AMD Athlon 64 CPUs and MythTV Compiling

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Dec 20 20:24:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 10:34:02AM -0600, Drew Zerdecki wrote:
> I am about to purchase a CPU/mobo for a mythtv box.  I read somewhere
> that it is harder to compile builds for MythTv on these AMD Athlon 64
> chips.  Specifically I am looking at the AMD Athlon 64 3000+.  It is
> relatively cheap and gets good reviews.  On the other hand I am also
> looking at the Intel 3Ghz which isnt too much more but the good
> motherboards for this slot T chip are a lot ore expensive.  Any
> recommendations?

Some applications when compiled for the ath-64 are faster.  Some are
_slower_ and you prefer to do them in 32 bit mode, though I don't think
many are a lot slower.   Of course, many of your RPMs will be in 32
bit mode for a while.    I would suspect an mpeg decoder written with
64 bits in mind might do well, but I don't know if anybody has done that.

However, no question, the P4-3ghz is way faster than the Athlon-3000 (not
Ath64) at mpeg decoding.    30% idle or less on Ath-3000.  60% idle on
P4-3ghz.

This is because the P4-3ghz is at 3ghz, while the Athlon-3000 is at 2.2ghz.

The ath64-3000 is at 2ghz -- it might even be slower than the regular
athlon.