[mythtv-users] Lircd not surviving reboot.

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Sun Dec 19 22:07:07 UTC 2004

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 06:55:14PM -0500, Noel Murphy wrote:
> Ok, I've got my remote working (homebrew IR receiver) with mythtv now,
> however only if I do the following before starting mythtv (which starts
> up on bootup)
>
> setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
> modprobe lirc_serial
> ln -s /dev/lirc0 /dev/lirc
> /sbin/service lircd restart
>
> After i do all the above (as root) and then start up myth frontend, my
> remote works. My question is, how do I get this to all occur
> automatically[?]

It depends on the distro you're using and whether you installed it from a
package or built it from a tarball you downloaded yourself.  If you
installed a package, there should be a script that init can run to start
lircd; on Gentoo, for instance, it's /etc/init.d/lircd and it's set to run
in the default runlevel with rc-update add lircd default.  If you built a
tarball, there should be a script that init can run that will start
user-provided binaries; on Gentoo, it's /etc/init.d/local, which calls
/etc/conf.d/local.start and /etc/conf.d/local.stop at the appropriate times;
you would put a command to start lircd in local.start and a command to stop
it in local.stop.  The particular details for other distros will most likely
be different, but they shouldn't be too different (except for Slackware).

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter