[mythtv-users] Just Can't Get lirc to Work :-(

David Bosiljevac dave at sanman.ca
Sun Dec 19 04:50:54 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I've tried everything I can, but I just can't seem to get lirc to work for me.

I do all the kernel compilations, with all the required modules, but when I run the
/usr/local/bin/irw program, nothing shows up when I press buttons on the remote.

I've checked to make sure the IR cable is plugged into my Hauppauge card.  I've
changed batteries on my remote.  Still nothing.

Here's the lirc entries from my /var/log/messages file:

Dec 18 23:44:22 localhost kernel: lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at
major 61
Dec 18 23:44:22 localhost kernel: bttv: driver version 0.7.108 loaded
Dec 18 23:44:22 localhost kernel: bttv: using 4 buffers with 2080k (8320k total) for
capture
Dec 18 23:44:22 localhost kernel: lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
Dec 18 23:44:22 localhost kernel: lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin:sample_rate: 10

My lircd logfile is showing the line:

Dec 18 23:46:21 krusty lircd 0.7.0: accepted new client on /dev/lircd

There doesn't seem to be any errors anywhere.

Am I missing something?  Does anybody have any thoughts as to why I get nothing when
I run irw?

Thanks in advance.

--db