[mythtv-users] OT: Dual Channel DDR

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Sat Dec 18 19:41:38 UTC 2004

Joseph Caputo wrote:
> My understanding was that dual-channel needed at least PC3200 RAM (400
> MHz); the difference in price is probably due to the fact that if you're
> not running in dual-channel mode most mobos fall back to PC2700 speeds
> (333 MHz), so if you're not running dual-channel there's no point in
> buying the more expensive PC3200 RAM.  The fact that you need 2x sticks
> of identical RAM for dual channel does not add as much to the price as
> the difference between PC2700/PC3200.

The only issue concerning FSB speed that I'm aware of is the case of the
size of the memory modules on certain chipsets.  For example, the NForce
2 Ultra board I own, says in the manual, will only support modules up to
512MB @ PC3200.  Modules larger than 512MB are only supported @ PC2700.
  This is probably an electrical timing or loading issue.  In this case
I didn't really care because the CPU runs at 333MHz and I wasn't
planning on doing any overclocking.

Yan