[mythtv-users] OT: Dual Channel DDR

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sat Dec 18 03:52:06 UTC 2004

Brad Templeton wrote:

>On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 04:29:57PM -0600, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>

>>I have a motherboard I'm going to be using for a network boot frontend.
>>It has support for Dual Channel DDR memory sticks.  I'm looking to price
>>the memory to put in this and I'm not sure if it is worth the extra 10%
>>or so to get Dual Channel.  Will I notice an improvement in performance
>>enough to warrant going with the Dual Channel over the normal DDR memory?
>>

>If your motherboard is a dual channel motherboard, what is the extra
>10% you are talking about?  I don't believe memory has any "dual channelness"
>to it, it is the motherboard that provides that function, though you want
>two memory modules of the same type of course.

It's kinda a moot point now as I've read that my particular revision of
the board supports only single-channel DDR, but in case you are
interested, the motherboard manual is here:

http://www.soyousa.com/dl/manuals/quick-sg/p4/QSG-p4rs350v11.pdf

And on page 7 you can see the mention of Dual Channel with doubles the
memory capacity of the board.  It is also further discussed on page 11.
On newegg.com, the dual channel memory is sold as 512MB (256x2) and is
about 10% more expensive than two single channel 256MB chips.

Kingston's website has an interesting whitepaper on the advantages of
dual channel and the performance gains that can be had from it (kinda
like what hyperthreading has done for processors)

http://www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_520DDRwhitepaper.pdf

Interesting, but apparently not something I need to worry about with
this board :)

Kevin