[mythtv-users] Re: FC3 less stable than FC1? Getting Cannot allocate memory error

Kttii Tom Thompson kttii at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 18 17:14:24 UTC 2004

>alright, I will now confess to my Newb-ness. How can I tell what version of
>ivtv I am using? BTW, did you go to FC2 from FC1? how was that transition?
>The main reason I wanted to go back to FC1 is I have the files already
>downloaded and burned.
>
>thanks, George --- David George <david at thegeorges.us> wrote:
>
>>On 12/16/2004 1:08 PM, George Lopez wrote:
>>
>> >I did read the reboot suggestion on the list. >Unfortunately it did not
>>help. The paste of >commands/output is post-reboot. Any other ideas? >Kind
>>of stuck on my FC3 install and am about to start >over but with an FC1
>>install. (have not gotten sound >to work either {at least not
>>consistently}, but was >not too worried since I will be running the .nuv
>>files >through another computer). > > What version of ivtv are you using?
>>I am currently using 0.2.0-rc2u (just haven't gotten around to trying
>>newer ones yet).
>>
>>In any case. There isn't any need to go back to FC1, just use FC2. I
>>switched to FC2 when it first came out and have never looked back to FC1.
>>
>>--
>>David

I ran into the same problem while reinstalling FC3 from scratch.

I found this thread saying to try (but didn't work for me):
     #  sysctl -w vm.min_free_kbytes=4096
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/92068?search_string=cannot%20allocate%20memory;#92068

and then found this thread which just increases the number (worked for me):
     #  sysctl -w vm.min_free_kbytes=16384
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/97209?search_string=cannot%20allocate%20memory;#97209

Hope that helps

TOM