[mythtv-users] MythGame and XMame -sound and -mouse option

Shawn Taras shawn_t at writeme.com
Fri Dec 17 23:28:44 UTC 2004

xmame.SDL works perfectly outside of Myth, but within MythGame, it doesn't launch. I have tracked the problem down to MythGame launching xmame.SDL with two options that don't seem to be supported:

  -mouse (or -nomouse)
  -sound

When I run 'mythfrontend &> myth.log' I get the following output:

2004-12-17 13:08:12 mythfrontend version: 0.16.20040906-1 www.mythtv.org
2004-12-17 13:08:12 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
2004-12-17 13:08:12 Registering Internal as a media playback plugin.
2004-12-17 13:08:12 Registering MythDVD DVD Media Handler as a media handler
2004-12-17 13:08:12 Registering MythDVD VCD Media Handler as a media handler
2004-12-17 13:08:13 Registering MythMusic Media Handler as a media handler
SIP listening on IP Address 192.168.0.102:5060 NAT address 192.168.0.102
SIP: Cannot register; proxy, username or password not set
2004-12-17 13:08:13 Mediamonitor: Adding /dev/cdrom
2004-12-17 13:08:13 Starting media monitor.
2004-12-17 13:08:13 Media status changed...  New status is: MEDIASTAT_OPEN old status was MEDIASTAT_NOTMOUNTED
Error loading image file: /usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/NOTHING.png
MythThemedDialog.o: something is requesting a screen update of zero size. A widget probably has not done a calculateScreeArea(). Will redraw the whole screen (inefficient!).
[...]

/usr/bin/xmame.SDL -rompath /usr/share/xmame/roms -history_file /usr/share/xmame/history.dat -snapshot_directory /usr/share/xmame/screens -hiscore_directory /var/lib/mythgame/hiscore -hiscore_file /var/lib/mythgame/hiscore.dat -skip_disclaimer -skip_gameinfo -nofullscreen -noscanlines -artwork -noautoframeskip  -scale 1 -antialias -translucency -beam 1.000000 -flicker 0.000000  -analogstick -mouse   -joytype 4 -sound -samples -volume -20  -cheat -skip_disclaimer -skip_gameinfo mspacman

/usr/bin/xmame.SDL -rompath /usr/share/xmame/roms -lr "mspacman" 2>/dev/null

The second last line seems to be the one that lauches xmame. When I try to run this command outside of myth, xmame complains about the -mouse and the -sound options so I would imagine this is why the games are not launching within Myth.

The version of xmame I have installed is: xmame (SDL) version 0.87 (Oct 4 2004)
Is there a later version that I have to get? I already tried 'apt-get install xmame' and it says I have the latest version.

Or perhaps I need an older version of xmame that supports -mouse and -sound?!?

Shawn