[mythtv-users] Can Myth be all I want it to be?

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Fri Dec 17 19:21:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 01:20:48PM -0800, WJCarpenter wrote:
> I have an Antec Overture waiting around for me to pick a motherboard.
> I'm looking at the Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394
> <http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7VT600%201394.htm>.
>
> It seems well-suited for MythTV in general and the Overture case in
> particular becuase it's got:
>
>   -- Connector for the Overture's front USB ports
>   -- Connector for the Overture's front firewire port
>   -- 2 9-pin serial ports (for IR blaster and satellite receiver
>      control)
>   -- 6 channel audio
>
> Anybody have any experience or opinions about that motherboard, or
> Gigabyte motherboards in general, or the Via KT600 chipset?

That looks mostly good; the questions I'd ask about it are (1) does the
onboard audio include S/PDIF output (coax and/or optical) and, if it does,
(2) does the onboard audio support AC3/DTS passthrough?  The latter question
is especially important for DVD or HDTV playback.  (I've run across
soundcards with S/PDIF output that don't support AC3/DTS passthrough.  The
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is one that doesn't.)

(After looking through the manual, the S/PDIF in/out connectors are on a
bracket that isn't bundled with the motherboard.  You would want to make
sure whoever sells you the board has that bracket available.  The Realtek
ALC650 appears to be supported to some extent by Linux, but whether it
supports AC3/DTS passthrough, I don't know.)

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter