[mythtv-users] RAID5 ATA IDE hardware card recommendations for mythbackend machine

Zachary Bedell zaclist at adirondack.net
Thu Dec 16 18:21:08 UTC 2004

On Dec 15, 2004, at 10:04 PM, cb wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 12:09 -0500, Zachary Bedell wrote:
>> I didn't have the money, so I ended up getting a cheap HighPoint card
>> and using Linux software RAID to replace my FastTrack.  The FastTrack
>> is definitely faster than softRAID in terms of throughput, but I'd
>> rather have safer, slower data personally.
> What is the consensus on using md/LVM with FastTrak cards? Are all of
> Promise' problems within the RAID driver ?  Have to ask, I just built a
> 360gb RAID5 off of one of their new SATA 4 channel cards.. the drivers
> looked scary so i said screw it, i'll MD it.  that should be safe, I
> thought

Since my little "accident," I've been using the Promise as a backup
array (to which I rsync the content of my primary array periodically).
I set the thing up as "Just a Bunch Of Disks" with Linux soft RAID-5
(md, no LVM for me).  No problems with it since.

I took a bit of a speed hit in the process.  MD isn't quite as fast as
using Promise's pseudo soft/hard RAID solution.  I'm still using
Promise's kludgy drivers, but it works well enough.  I no longer trust
it as my sole data store; but as a backup, I'd say it's good enough.

Best regards,
Zac Bedell

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
		-- Alfred Jarry

Brought to you by MacOS, running on host Aramis
Running for:  4 days, 19 hours, 43 minutes

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)