[mythtv-users] Re: Building a myth box, wanna look over my components?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Dec 15 21:02:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Mike Isely wrote:

> > I _am_ running stock 2.6.8.1 now, though admittedly that system hasn't had
> > a lot of time running 2.6.9 (last time I tried that kernel CD writing was
> > hosed up for me).  I run the Debian distribution, not Fedora, and I build
> > kernels from the stock sources with a few choice patches (e.g. new tuners,
> > the -ac patch series, latest v4l).  The lockups I related above happened
> > under stock 2.6.8.1 (no patches).
>
> One other important datapoint here, that I just realized:  The video
> capture hard lockup that I had experienced about 2 weeks ago was in fact
> while running stock 2.6.9 with the new tuners patch applied and nothing
> else.  So unless the fix you mention is only in a -ac patch past 2.6.9
> then either the problem is still present or I am dealing with another kind
> of problem.

I promise I'll stop replying to my own posts here, but my memory of that
particular crash is coming back now and it's important to this thread.  I
don't want to assert a claim unless the evidence backs it up.

I've had so many problems on that system over time that many of the
details have been forgotten.  However in the video capture crash and in
light of the discussion here, I think now that the problem was in fact
something different.  That one *wasn't* a hard lockup.  It was a kernel
oops (in exit.c of all places), which killed the mythtv backend and
appeared to have messed up the bttv driver.  So this problem may very well
have been unrelated.

I will do more testing with 2.6.9-ac14 and see if anything has improved.
It may take a while.  Even with these problems I can still get uptimes of
several weeks so it's pretty hard to get something statistically
significant without a lot of testing time.

With all that said, clearly I am not going to recommend nforce2 boards so
long as I'm still having problems with mine.  But your mileage may vary...

  -Mike

    POSITIVELY NO       |                             | 03 54 43 4D 75 E5 CC 92
 UNSOLICITED JUNK MAIL! |   isely @ pobox (dot) com   | 71 16 01 E2 B5 F5 C1 E8