[mythtv-users] Thoughts on CD ripping

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 01:52:46 UTC 2004

I heard a rumour somewhere that something similar is currently in
development.  Well, actually, I think what is being done, is the
ripping and the encoding are being seperated so you don't have to wait
for 30mins to eject the CD.

I don't think the automated stuff is being done....

HTH's
Whytey

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:28:49 -0600, Paul Miller
<paul at pinheiro.dyndns.org> wrote:

> I would really like to see this too...
>
> On Tuesday 14 December 2004 9:50 am, Andrew Wilson wrote:
> > Here's what I'm trying to do, has anyone tried this before....?
> >

> > When I put a CD into the drive, I want the system to immediately
> > start playing it just as a proper CD player would, while at the
> > same time ripping it to disk so you don't need to put the CD in
> > again.
> >
> > - Can myth do this? Can any other music programs do this?
> >
> > I'm using an EPIA M10k which doesn't have enough oomph to encode to
> > mp3 in a reasonable timeframe, looking at about 30 mins for a CD,
> > which is too long.
> >
> > However, I've got a nice fast CD rom, which in theory should be
> > able to copy a music CD to disk in a couple of minutes or so.
> >
> > So, how about this for an idea:
> > - Read the CD into a (ISO?) file, and start playing the audio
> > immediately from the file rather than off the CD.
> > - Eject the CD as soon as the disk has been read, but continue to
> > play audio out of the ISO image
> > - Rip the ISO to mp3/ogg/whatever in your own time, and delete the
> > ISO once it's completed.
> >
> > Is this feasible? Where would I start?
> >
> > Andrew

GMAIL is 'da bomb baby....YEAH