[mythtv-users] Re: Strange X behavior with nvidia drivers

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Dec 15 00:23:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 12:41:29PM -0500, Paul Hamm wrote:
> No joy, I seem to have the same issue with 6111.  BTW I had to download
> and install the nvidia drivers manually as 6111 and 6106 both give this
> error if you use atrpms.
>
> nvidia: Unknown symbol __VMALLOC_RESERVE
>
> the fix is to unpack the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run and edit
> nv.c by adding the following line below the Global state comment.
>
> unsigned int __VMALLOC_RESERVE;

But that's the wrong "fix", as it introduces a different
__VMALLOC_RESERVE symbol than the one that is not anymore exported
(but still used). So while there are no errors at module load time,
any access to __VMALLOC_RESERVE will be to the above symbol and not
the kernel's.

The fix is either in nvidia's sources (e.g. 6629) or in rexprting the
symbol in the kernel (requires patching the kernel).