[mythtv-users] modifying recorded program descriptions

mielikki-ivtv mielikki-ivtv at westbrook.com
Mon Dec 13 16:10:36 UTC 2004

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> I'd suggest installing phpmyadmin and using that to edit the DB.  You
> can use it to edit the specific fields you want without fear of breaking
> things in general.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm pretty comfortable with the MySQL
command line so I'm not sure what phpMyAdmin would buy me.

My concern is about maintaining database integrity.

Some of the database integrity is enforced by the database (for example,
no duplicate primary keys, 'role' can only be certain values) -- that I
don't have to worry about because (1) it's more or less documented in
the scheme and (2) I'll get errors if I do something wrong.

Some of it is enforced by the application (for example, starttime <
endtime). These rules aren't really expressed anywhere but in the source
code and I don't trust myself not to miss something in there. I want to
make sure I don't violate any of the database integrity rules that are
usually enforced by the application.

I can't imagine there are any that pertain to recorded.title or
recorded.subtitle, but I can't be sure of that, either.