[mythtv-users] DVB in Guildford, UK...

Julian Edwards ed at julian-edwards.com
Mon Dec 13 15:57:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 15:16, Jules Gosnell wrote:
> Looks like I will have to stick with the Guildford transmitter. Using
> your channels.conf I lose all my channels...
>
> Are aerials directional ? Perhaps the one on my roof just happens to be
> pointing more in the direction of the Guildford transmitter ?

Oh yes, they're highly directional!  It might be worth you pointing it
towards London and trying again.  I see another Guildford poster Nick
Craig-Wood (hi!) just sad he had more luck pointing at Crystal Palace
too.

> I am 2-3 miles due south of Guildford - perhaps you are to the north...

Yes, I am a mile to the north.

> I haven't got the time to roll my own zap2myth and it is time consuming
> manually fixing every iteration before importing...
>
> What did you use to scan and convert ?

I followed the instructions here:
http://www.ethics-gradient.net/myth/mythdvb.html

Although I admit I didn't use zap2myth as I didn't want all the channels
in the database as they're mostly a load of crap.  I don't really need
10 shopping channels thanks :)

I think what I did in the end was to put a couple of channels' data in
the database manually (mysql prompt) to see if they worked and then
(this was a while ago so my memory is fading) ran zap2myth, saw what the
output was, and then hand-crafted my own sql file to load the data.  I
guess we could do with a better tool to scan and pick the channels...
--
Julian Edwards
http://www.julian-edwards.com/