[mythtv-users] Re: RAID5 ATA IDE hardware card recommendations for mythbackend machine

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 14:53:55 UTC 2004

At 11:53 11/12/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>Brad Templeton wrote:
>

>>Why would you want to do RAID for a backup machine?  Assuming we are
>>talking disks full of backups, you already have 2 copies of that data,
>>so you are not in trouble if a drive fails, you just put up a new one
>>and backup the original data again.
>>
>>RAID is for systems that need to be always up, that dare not be taken
>>down to replace a drive etc.  That's not true of backup servers.
>>
>Partially true. I run a mirror set on some of my backup drives. Reason: I
>keep incremental backups (in diff form) for half a year. Doing that on a
>mirror pair takes care i do not lose my changes made during the past half
>year in case 1 disk dies.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Rudy

Partially true here too. I have a server with just over a terabyte of RAID1
on a 3ware, which serves files to the two LANs we have here. It also serves
as a backup to my workstation, which has about 500GB of space on it -
important stuff (profiles, music, movies) are rsynced over every night. TV
data for the last week is kept on the server (so that if a hard drive dies
I can still watch stuff), but I don't keep a permanent archive of my TV stuff.