[mythtv-users] OT: rsync, or is there a better option?

Adam Greenbaum lists at refinitive.com
Sun Dec 12 12:19:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 23:45, James Pifer wrote:
> Anyone willing to share their backup script using rsync? I'm sumply
> doing this:
> # cat /root/backupvideos
> mount 192.168.1.22:/storage /mnt/storage
> rsync -av --delete --exclude=nice_names /mythtv/recordings
> /mnt/storage/mythtv
> rsync -av --delete /mythtv/music /mnt/storage/mythtv
> rsync -av --delete /mythvideos /mnt/storage/mythtv
> umount /mnt/storage

Rsync can run over SSH so there's no need to mount the remote drive
first. You just need to set up the authorised keys and public keys in
~/.ssh (on server and client respectively).
You can then rsync by running this on the machine to backup:

rsync --delete -re ssh /dir/to/backup backuphost:/dir/to/backup/to

(only use the --delete  once you are sure the files are going where you
expect them to go!)

This will probably help solve the permissions problem you are
encountering too.

Adam.