[mythtv-users] OT: rsync, or is there a better option?

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Thu Dec 9 23:45:01 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 23:59, Phill Edwards wrote:
> > Since my myth box has crashed a few times, including power loss and hard
> > lockups, I want to backup my recordings, videos, etc so I don't lose
> > anything the next time. So I picked up a couple large hard drives and
> > have another linux box (FC3) ready to be a network storage device. I
> > already backup important files, such as mysql dump, so I'm just talking
> > the large video files here.
> >
> > What's the best way to get all my recordings, videos, mucis, etc sent
> > over to this box every so often, maybe once a day. I'm thinking copy
> > anything new or changed, and remove anything deleted from the source.
> > Changes would only be made on the storage system, either adding or
> > removing files.
> >
> > Would rsync be the best way to accomplish this or is there a better
> > option?
>
> I use rsync for backups on another linux box I have. It's a very easy way to
> have full backups which use up minimal disk space and is quick to execute.

Anyone willing to share their backup script using rsync? I'm sumply
doing this:
# cat /root/backupvideos
mount 192.168.1.22:/storage /mnt/storage
rsync -av --delete --exclude=nice_names /mythtv/recordings
/mnt/storage/mythtv
rsync -av --delete /mythtv/music /mnt/storage/mythtv
rsync -av --delete /mythvideos /mnt/storage/mythtv
umount /mnt/storage

This seems to work ok, but I get a bunch of chown errors, operation not
permitted when the file already exists on the destination. I've googled
and haven't figured out why I'm getting them, or how to stop them. I
seem to get them whether I use the v option or not.

Anyone know what these mean? They look something like this:
chown music/Country/Trisha Yearwood/Songbook : Operation not permitted

Thanks,
James