[mythtv-users] Lightweight window manager recommendation

Scott Petersen scott_j1 at slal.net
Fri Dec 10 00:38:18 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 10:58:34AM -0500, Travis Osterman wrote:
> I've been using Myth on my dedicated fc1 box for roughly one year now
> and have only wonderful things to say.  During the holidays I am
> planning on performing some hardware upgrades to my system and am will
> be installing gentoo on my Myth box.  I haven't ventured far in the
> relm of window managers (I prefer gnome myself) so I was looking for a
> recommendation on a lightweight wm that would offer a slight increase
> in performance from KDE.
>
> I've seen blackbox and fvwm mentioned in the mythtv.org howto and
> would appreciate any more information whether one is preferrable or if
> there are other undocumented alternatives.  Thank you all for a
> wonderful project and community.
I use fvwm2 on Mandrake 10.1 with a custom config file and I am very happy with it. I use Mandrake's autologin setup to automatically log the mythtv user in when X starts. I then have a custom .fvwm2rc file that starts myth full screen.

Cheers
Scott Petersen

Place the following file in ~mythtv/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc

----------------start of .fvwm2rc--------------------

# Submitted by Scott Elliott <selliott at insight.rr.com>
Style myth* NoTitle, NoHandles, Sticky, WindowListSkip, SloppyFocus, GrabFocus, BorderWidth 0

# Changes by Scott Petersen
#set the desk top size in units of physical screen size
DeskTopSize 1X1

# Stuff to do at start-up
# Start mythfrontend
# Start IRexec so we can start and stop mythfrontend from the remote.

Function "StartFunction"
        Exec exec /usr/bin/mythfrontend
        Exec exec /usr/bin/irexec --daemon ~/.mythtv/lircrc
EndFunction

Function "RestartFunction"
        Exec    "I"     exec /usr/bin/mythfrontend
        Exec    "I"     exec /usr/bin/irexec --daemon ~/.mythtv/lircrc
EndFunction

# Starts mythfrontend from the keyboard using F1
Key F1  R       A       exec /usr/bin/mythfrontend