[mythtv-users] Component video adapters

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Thu Dec 9 18:17:21 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 11:06:14AM -0500, David George wrote:
> Just an FYI for anyone thinking of trying it.  I got one of the ATI DVI
> to component adapters for my 8500DV card (which I no longer have).  I
> tried using it to convert DVI on my nVidia FX5200 Ultra and my nVidia
> Ti4200 card and it didn't work with my TV (using it on the ATI card did
> work).  I am not sure if it was some incompatibility or if it only works
> with the ATI cards.

They only work with later-model ATI cards (not even the Radeon 7200s and
7000s I have kicking around).  Their newer GPUs are most likely creating
component video directly and sending it out the VGA or DVI-I port instead of
RGB video.  The cheap VGA-to-component and DVI-to-component adapters, I'm
guessing, are little more than a handful of connectors wired together.

  _/_