[mythtv-users] Nvidia DVI vs ATI

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Thu Dec 9 13:03:53 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 09:02:34AM -0700, mark at onnow.net wrote:
> After reading the article re. DVI compliance...
>
> So it looks like ATI cards are working better than NVidia for DVI.  I am looking
> to by a TV that takes DVI and I am concerned about the compliance of Nvidia
> cards.  Are the ATI cards supported at all?  I have always used Nvidia with no
> problems.
>
> Thoughts?  Experiences?

I read the article and I think there's a bit of scaremongering going on.

Did you see the eye diagrams? They are all perfect, though the article
says some of them are nearly out of specification.

The specification will ensure that you still get a workable picture over
an X metre long cable; if you keep it short, it won't matter if you
card IS out of spec.

The NVIDIA cards with the off-board SIL164 transmitter chip seemed to do
better than the ones using the built-in transmitter in the GeforceFX
(especially obvious on the card with one of each, the MSI NX6800
Ultra), so if you are concerned, look for a card with that chip.
I expect it'll only be on the more expensive cards though.

Hamish