[mythtv-users] Re: RAID5 ATA IDE hardware card recommendations for mythbackend machine

Russ Dill russ.dill at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 04:06:38 UTC 2004

> All of this was prompted because we just had an HDD failure and lost
> about a month's worth of unarchived baby pictures; redundancy is the
> primary issue.  My wife's getting a new machine for her desk, so I'll
> retire the old machine to the basement and pop in the RAID5 for file
> serving and multimedia jukebox purposes.

On my backend, I started with a large drive, one partition for os,
email storage, etc, and then a second, large partition with LVM for
mythtv. When I added a second drive, I made another partition the same
size as the os partition on the first drive, and ran them raid1. I
then added the remainder of the space to the LVM pool.

That is definately a beautiful part of sotfware raid, you can pick and
choose how you use it. Now my important data has raid redundancy, and
my datastore partition (for shows/movies) gives me a huge amount of
space.

(BTW, there was someone here mentioning breaking up a raid array for
the purpose of hiding bad sectors. Modern drives automatically
relocate bad sectors. If you start to get errors from a modern drive,
its a mechanical, electrical, or really big media failure)