[mythtv-users] Impossible to choose Motherboard?

Craig Read craigread at csi.com
Thu Dec 9 00:23:22 UTC 2004

Drew Zerdecki wrote:

> Is it impossible?  I know I want an Intel chip but beyond that I have
> no real preference (until you tell me) for chipset, form factor,
> onboard s-video out.  I've looked through the PVR HArdware database,
> but I haven't gotten a clear idea of what to get.  What is the first
> decision to make?  Chipset? Form factor to match that sexy case?
> Something else?  Now I am not even sure I want an Intel chip...
> Should I switch and become an AMD man?  Help.

I'm using an AMD Athlon 2800+ cpu, but I think the principle is the
same.  I chose an Albatron nForce2 motherboard (KM18G-Pro2) with
on-board video (nvidia GeForce4 MX440), audio (6 channel with digital
out), networking, firewire, etc.  I wanted an all-in-one motherboard to
keep the cost of the system down.  When I get around to replacing it,
I'll probably go for a board without the video and use a GeForce FX5200
(the MX440 doesn't seem to have any sort of mpeg decoder and it
struggles with HD signals on my Twinhan card).

I'd definitely recommend going for a nForce chipset as I've had zero
problems with it.  If you want "ok" quality audio, get one with it
on-board and save a few dollars.  If you want "great" quality audio,
skip the on-board and look at one of the Creative THX certified cards.

> Thanks for the help?

Hope it was helpful.

Cheers...