[mythtv-users] Replacing KDE with Ratpoison

nate s nate.strickland at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 20:14:15 UTC 2004

I was just writing a script like this myself last night.  The way I
did it was to use the ~/.xsession file, which gdm will execute if you
choose "Custom Session," and start both ratpoison and mythfrontend
there.  Also, notice that I started ratpoison with ratpoison &, and
then started mythfrontend with exec mythfrontend.  What this means is
that it will behave as if no window manager is there in that it will
log you out to gdm when you exit mythfrontend, but it aviods the other
problems of running myth without a windowmanager.  If you're having
problems with mythfrontend crashing, you can change this by doing the
exec on ratpoison rather than on mythfrontend (and you can do while
true or whatever to keep myth alive)

#!/bin/bash
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset s noblank
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset s off
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms
/usr/bin/ratpoison &
exec mythfrontend

just put that in ~/.xesssion, and make it executable, then you're set.

-Nate