[mythtv-users] Replacing KDE with Ratpoison

David George david at thegeorges.us
Wed Dec 8 13:44:02 UTC 2004

On 12/8/2004 6:53 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:

> I've been trying to replace KDE with Ratpoison, but KDE seems to have
> an extremely strong will to live and no matter what I do I can't get
> any other window manager to start up. Here's what I've done.

Here is how I did it for an extremely light weight setup (and easy for
the wife to use):

These may be Redhat/Fedora centric.

First edit your /etc/inittab and change the default run state from 5 to
3 (if it isn't already). Also add "--noclear --autologin mythtv" to the
mingetty line for tty1. The two modified lines in /etc/inittab should
look like this:

id:3:initdefault:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin mythtv tty1

Next add "exec startx" to the end of your ~/.bash_profile (in my case
/home/mythtv/.bash_profile).

Add "exec mythfrontend" to the end of your ~/.ratpoisonrc.

And create the following .xinitrc:

#/bin/sh
xset -dpms s off
ratpoison&
mythfrontend > /var/log/mythtv/frontend.log 2>> /var/log/mythtv/frontend.err

Thats it, just power on the computer, it autologs in and starts MythTV.

HTH,
David