[mythtv-users] Recommendation: Hardware MPEG2 Decoder w/ DVI?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Dec 8 07:28:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 03:41:30PM -0800, Joe Barnhart wrote:
> The nVidia 5200 card is a fine one for software
> decoding, and I recommend it.  There was a recent
> article in Tom's Hardware, tho, which trashed it for
> DVI compatibility.  I use VGA myself so I couldn't
> comment.  The "winner" for DVI compatibility was ATI,
> but no one has much good to say about Radeon cards for
> Myth.

Strictly, the Tom's article approved one Nvidia card and deprecated two
others, but they were all much higher end cards ($300 range, you can get
the 5200 for $50) so we don't know what they saw on a 5200, they said
they would do that at some point.

I will note I have been unable to get the 5200 to work under linux to drive
my HDTV via DVI, but others have been able to do that.

Note that the "trashed" cards were able to do 140mhz, not the full 162mhz
needed to do 1600x1200x60hz.   HDTV needs only 1920x1080x30hz or
1280x720x60hz, where are both about half of the full bandwidth.