[mythtv-users] Dell OptiPlex for Myth front-end

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Dec 8 06:09:51 UTC 2004

> Hi, all.  I currently have an "under the stairs" MythTV backend (dual
> PVR250 tuners), and a single XBox front-end in the living room.  I'm
> thinking about a second front-end in the bedroom, however I was
> thinking about a small form factor PC instead of another XBox.

> And, of course, if anyone is actually using a GX, I'd love to hear about it.

I've been using a GX100 for my main frontend in my living room for
about the past year or so.  Picked it up for around $90 I think.

Here's the specs and what it looks like:

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/dsk_delloptigx100466.html

I took mine apart, removed the front Dell emblem and grey faceplate and
painted the thing black to match my other A/V components, then put the
grey faceplate back on (left the emblem off).

The Celeron 466 is a little sluggish sometimes it seems when loading
big program lists or large positionMaps from the database, but
it works pretty good for playback.  I picked up a P3-900 IBM NetVista
to replace this a month or so ago but am still debating whether I need
to or not. May just turn the NetVista into the main frontend and make
the GX100 a secondary.  I use a VGA -> SVideo converter so I'm using the
onboard video.

--

Chris