[mythtv-users] Re: Problem with wife-friendly feature (starting an X appl from a virtual console)

Don Brown don at donbrown.ca
Tue Dec 7 15:51:55 UTC 2004

>> Problem is that I can't get the script to start mythfrontend.

I had the same problem.  I followed this tip (I'm using Fedora Core 2) I
found on Google:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&postid=970290#post
970290

For other distros, it might be as simple as changing "-nolisten tcp" to
"listen tcp"
when starting up X. (Which, if you're using XDM and KDE, you might find in
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
on the line:
:0 local /bin/nice -n -10 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp
or similar.

I also found I needed to run the command when signed on as the same user as
the person signed on
to Xdm (ie. mythtv).  Running as su root caused connection errors.  This is
probably an Xauth thing, but
I didn't need to figure out that part.

hope this helps,
Don