[mythtv-users] Minimum pcHDTV frontend (with decent vid card)

Tue Dec 7 15:05:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Cory Papenfuss wrote:

>  	Hey all.  I'm looking to get a pcHDTV card soon, but wanted to
> know if I'll have to redo my frontend as well.  I've looked through the
> archives some, but there's a pretty low SNR on actual information.
>
>  	Assuming an NVIDIA card (FX5200 or GF4-440), how much CPU is
> *actually* required?  The whole point of XvMC is that the vid card does
> the MPEG decoding, so it shouldn't take too much.
>
>  	What say you all?
>
> Thanks,
> -Cory

Daniel is the best one to give you an indication of how well XvMC works.  He
has put some effort into getting XvMC to handle HD size video frames.

Most of us using pcHDTV cards gave up on it, and splurged on a 3.0GHz HT P4
or better, so we would not have to use XvMC.

John