[mythtv-users] [OT] Mailing Lists...

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 7 14:11:38 UTC 2004

On Monday 06 December 2004 17:25, Steve Berryman wrote:
> i just dont see the advantages of mailing lists like this that are so
> busy. if we had a forum, dvb posts could be in one section, patches
> posted to another, and all things like that. how much easier would
> that make things?! if you want to look at dvb posts you go to the dvb
> forum. if you want to see all the patches you go to that place.

Ah, but you can't guarantee that postings in a given section of a forum
will always be limited to a specific topic.  There's a good chance that
a discussion in a "DVB" forum will touch on more general issues, but I
would never bother to read it, not being interested in DVB issues.

With a decent mail client, I can quickly scan large numbers of postings
(yes, even the content, not just the headers) and determine for myself
whether or not I'm interested in reading further.

I find a forum interface to be most useful on an occasional basis when
I'm searching for a specific answer to a question.  In those instances,
the gossamer-threads read-only forum serves well for me.

I agree that the best solution would be a mail <-> forum gateway, like
gossamer-threads, but one that allowed posting as well.  I've
occasionally seen someone offer to "look in to" setting something like
that up, but nothing has materialized as yet...

-JAC