[mythtv-users] Re: New MythTV Hardware Review

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Dec 6 19:28:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 08:42:02AM -0600, Kevin Hulse wrote:
> e) You wish to archive some of what you are recording on your Tivo
> f) You wish your Tivo were better organized (like, by series then episode)
> g) You want a DVD jukebox.
> h) You want an MP3 jukebox that doesn't require a constant wifi signal.
> i) You want more sophisticated preference algorithms.
> j) You want a user serviceable device that you can easily add capacity to.
>
> There's plenty of room for improvement with a Tivo.

Of course, and over time Myth will get better.  I suppose I shouldn't
have said "the only reason" because what I really mean is "The only
reasons that would justify the high degree of hassle required to
run Myth."

As nice as the above features are, it's hard to justify the pains we
see people experiencing on this list in order to get them.   And you
can archive Tivo recordings if you hack into the Tivo, which while complex
isn't as much work as getting Myth up.   Features f and i are pleasant
but minor.  (h) can be had for $80 with a MediaMVP and less by other
means.  You can easily add capacity to the Tivo, I have done so.  DVD
jukebox doesn't appeal to me that much, though I know it appeals to some.