[mythtv-users] *Remote* remote control

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Dec 6 16:13:13 UTC 2004

Jonathan Markevich wrote:

> Here's another pie-in-the-sky request.
>
> Is there some kind of way I can control the frontend machine through
> the network?  We're currently in a rather spread-out place, and
> sometimes I'd like to watch tv and programs another floor away.  The
> frontend and backend are all on the same machine, and the output from
> that is piped all over the house.
>
> LIRC seems to be able to signal the app to do things, is there some
> way to extend that even more?

The MythTV architecture is much better suited to using more than one
frontend rather than trying to remotely control a remote frontend.
This way each frontend can watch whatever they want or the same thing
(other than LiveTV depending on the number of tuners you have).  The
frontend machines don't have to be terribly powerful, just enough to
decode watever you are encoding on the backend.

Kevin