[mythtv-users] pvr250 + dxr3

Chris Wieringa cwieri39 at calvin.edu
Mon Dec 6 15:16:15 UTC 2004

>Has anybody tried getting a dxr3 (using em8300-modules) to work with
>mythtv. It *should* work just like the output to a pvr350 but even
>when I enable output to PVR350 and select /etc/em8300_mv-0 I get the
>picture on my monitor and not on the composite out of the em8300.
>
>Thanks,
>Soren

This reply is for all you DXR3 people out there...

DXR3 and Myth is not supported at this time, and it most likely will not be
unless someone is willing to code up support for it.  There are a few issues
(if I remember them correctly) that need to be addressed with the DXR3, that
have been addressed with the PVR-250 already.  These are all WAY back in the
archives, you'll need to search them to find out for sure.

1.  The PVR-250 can act like a video card, and you can run X on the TV-out
part of the card.  This allows for the frontend to run on the TV-out, and then
allows it to use the MPEG2 decoding when necessary.  The DXR3 cannot be used
like this - instead it requires a line-through of the X session from your video
card, and relies on overlay to play the MPEG2 content.  There is loss in video
quality from the line through, and the overlay piece for the DXR3 tends to be a
pain (from what I hear).

2.  The DXR3 has terrible OSD support - it does NOT support a sophisticated
OSD like Myth uses, it only has basic OSD support.  Some new OSD in Myth would
have to be coded for DXR3 use.  The PVR-250 handles OSD much better.

Technically if would be feasible to do this if some people actually wanted to
spend the time to code up support for it.  However, the PVR-250 is a much
better (and cleaner) option for decoding.  The DXR3 is too old, and would not
make for a nice, pretty, and efficient solution in Myth.  If you are looking
for a TV recording solution that can be used with the DXR3, you might try the
VDR project ( http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/index.htm ).

Chris Wieringa
cwieri39 at calvin.edu