[mythtv-users] Warning: Something is currently using: /dev/snd/pcmCOD1p, retrying error...

Allan Stirling Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org
Mon Dec 6 07:46:31 UTC 2004

Bill Sutton wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Wanted to post more information on the problem that I am having with my sound. I appologize for the repeat post, but I don't know how to reply to my previous one.  I get the message listed in the Subject when I try to "Watch Live TV".  I'm pretty sure that my problem is mostly one of setup.  I don't know what to setup in Mythbackend through Mythsetup for my sound device.  Is this supposed to be a path to something like /dev/snd/??? or what?  Are there any detailed instructions on the various setup pages.  I see configuration settings both when I do a mythtvsetup and in the frontend in Main/Utilities-Setup/Setup/General page.  What goes where?  I'm using FC3 which I believe has ALSA drivers by default.  I just figured out tonight how to actually get sound out of my sound card, so that was a step forward.  Listed below are hopefully all of the appropriate log files.
>
> Unknown video codec
> Please go into the TV Settings, Recording Profiles and
> setup the four 'Software Encoders' profiles.
> Assuming RTjpeg for now.
> Unknown audio codec
Mmmm... Not sure what's causing this... Maybe have a look where it suggests?

> recorder: /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p: error setting audio input device to 44100kHz/16bits/2channel
> Could not detect audio blocksize
> Cannot open DSP '/dev/snd/pcmC0D1p', exitingopen: Device or resource busy
> 2004-12-05 23:17:12 Opening OSS audio device '/dev/snd/pcmC0D1p'.
> 2004-12-05 23:17:12 WARNING: something is currently using: /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p, retrying.

Well, if you read the error message, it thinks something's using your
sound card ;)

Only one thing can access the 'raw' sound device at once.
fuser /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p
will give you the PID of the process that has the sound device already
open. You can look this up in
ps aux
, to find out what the process is, then track it down in your init
scripts and kill it.

Cheers,

Allan.